Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Technology and ghost hunting

I have a love/hate relationship with technology. I love that I can find info or catch up with family and friends with my iPhone but sometimes it can really cloud your mind.
Ghost hunting has come such a long way over the years but I'm not so sure it's for the better. I'm just as impressed with new ghost hunting technology as the next ghost hunter, but now we tend to just rely on electronic beeps and flashes to tell us what our sixth sense should. A few years ago, if in the presence of a ghost, our hair would stand on end, our ears would ring, or our bodies would react in a certain way to let us know, "hey, there is something supernatural in the room." Now I think most ghost hunters are completely disconnected to the physical symptoms of a ghostly encounter. We rely solely on what our equipment says. We walk around a location looking like The Ghostbusters and lugging around bags of things we "need". I don't believe most of those things are really needed. (they are fun to at with though!)
I believe everyone has the ability to have a sixth sense. Everyone has that part of their brain open from birth and as we get older, it shuts down. This is caused by many reasons...parents telling us, "there is no such thing as ghosts.", technology turning us into mindless slugs, or even just life.
Now don't get me wrong, some ghost hunting equipment is necessary such as- a camera, a camcorder, a digital (or tape) recorder, and a flashlight. The rest is just stuff. Is it cool? Sure, it's cool. I have a few unnecessary tools myself but for the most part, I just use the basics. I got into ghost hunting to understand what I saw as a child and to possibly learn the answer to the age-old question of what happens when we die. I don't do it to prove to anyone that ghosts exist...people will believe what they want regardless of what's right in front of them.
I guess what I want to do now is change my old ways. Stop using so many electronic tools and start opening my mind. I'm just as guilty as others when it comes to overdoing it with technology. Ghost hunting has changed in so many ways and has even impacted tv (don't even get me started on ghost hunting shows). It's time for a different and more natural approach. I plan on chronicling my journey from tech-savvy ghost hunter to a more natural ghost hunter.
It's time to get back to real ghost hunting.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Ghost Hunting Season

          Like other types of hunters, paranormal investigators seem to have a "season" in which it's best to hunt. I know ...